History

1950
Establishment of the Krakow branch of the Central Bureau of Artistic Exhibitions (CBWA).

September 11, 1965
Official opening of the Municipal Exhibition Pavilion (MPW).
The architect of the building was Krystyna Tołłoczko-Różyska. Until the 1990s, Bunkier Sztuki was the only object of modernist architecture in Krakow’s Old Town. Its facade, imprinted with concrete formwork, was designed by Stefan Borzęcki and Antoni Hajdecki.
photo from the Gallery’s archives

1994
BWA is granted the status of a municipal gallery, its name is officially changed to Bunkier Sztuki Gallery of Contemporary Art.

 

photo: Gallery Archives